Managers in organizations perform various functions and shoulder multiple responsibilities. One of the essential roles of every manager is to inculcate the right kind of values in employees. Fundamentally, employees expect managers to do their job adorned with a set of values. Likewise, managers advocate a style of management centered on positive values and attitudes.
Every individual has a set of values that he/she brings along to the workplace. As you know, values influence behaviors and play a role in the overall climate and effectiveness of the organization. In fact, an organization’s success depends on the right kind of values carried by people working in the organization.
Nurturing and shaping values among employees are major responsibilities that rest with the managers. Essentially, values play an important role in managerial life and influence the growth and success of every organization. Hence, managers who play a vital role in maintaining the social system of an organization need to embrace value-added behaviors for organizational success.
Nevertheless, managerial values are not limited to organizational level alone. Managerial values in my perspective need to influence behaviors at four different levels.
Value-added behaviors of Managers
The values that individuals embrace will play an important role in his/her organizational life. Hence, managers need to practice the following to promote desirable personal values in employees. These include:
- Cultivating positive values and healthy attitude among new entrants that will enhance their dedication and conscientiousness
- Guiding employees through decisions and actions across organizational events for personal and organizational development
- Helping employees develop and nurture personal values that will promote cooperative and supportive relationships
- Encouraging employees to respect others’ beliefs, attitudes and value systems
- Motivating employees to be governed by strong ethical standards in order to carry out their duties and responsibilities diligently
- Strengthening the core values among employees periodically through training and developmental programs
Teams need to uphold and respect each other’s values and be mutually supportive to attain their goals. Therefore, the value-added behaviors expected from managers are:
- Developing shared values among team members
- Promoting harmony among culturally diversified members of a team
- Ensuring that team members practice open communication and ethical behavior
- Motivating members to share knowledge, skills and expertise to satisfy both personal and organizational goals
- Safeguarding the interests of members and ensuring that they treat each other with respect and dignity; recognizing individual differences and value preferences
- Being supportive to the needs and concerns of the team members
Organizational values comprises of individuals, teams and total organizational values that marks the culture of the organization. Hence, managers need to give importance to the following:
- Being committed (top management) to strengthen the value system of the organization
- Standing for the welfare of employees though it may cost the organization financially
- Supporting the employees through training, development programs and personal welfare measures
- Ensuring that employees enjoy job security, job satisfaction and carry positive attitude about the organization
- Promoting ‘we-feeling’ among employees and connecting with them professionally, emotionally and socially
It is indeed necessary that every organization carry its set of values beyond its walls. For that reason, organizations need to inculcate community values that will ensure that it gets its due prominence in the community. Thus, the managers’ value-added behaviors need to include:
- Dealing professionally and honorably with the stakeholders including clients, customers, shareholders, suppliers, government and so on
- Ensuring that local community members get adequate support in terms of employment, CSR activities and communal bonding
- Protecting the needs and rights of the community through providing quality and ethical services
I believe that managers need to have greater self-realization of value-added behaviors. Furthermore, they need to be conscious of protecting the collective values of all those involved and connected at work.
Did you like the post? Please leave your comments in the box below.